Prepress File Preparation Guidelines
- Review your Adair estimate to confirm the final trim dimensions of your project.
- Locate the corresponding page geometry template (click here for template library) for live area, type safety, drilling and bleed requirements.
- Text documents should be built as single page (left and right) layouts. Do not build reader spreads or printer spreads.
- Cover document (both inside and outside cover art) should be built as spreads that include the spine. If you do not know the spine thickness for your cover layout, please contact Adair Client Relations.
Raster image resolution:
- Photographic images: black and white and color pictures reproduce best if they are placed on the page at an effective 300 ppi.
- Line art images: black and white or single color bitmap graphics reproduce best if they are placed on the page at an effective 1200 ppi.
- Our preferred prepress production file format is PDF/X-4. This format preserves transparency, layers and all color spaces used in the original files (CMYK, RGB, LAB and spot colors).
- Text colors: For black only text projects, all colors will be converted by us to grayscale. For black plus color projects, spot colors must be defined correctly in the native file applications. If you need help defining spot colors, please contact Adair Client Relations.
- Cover colors: For process color covers, all colors will be converted by us to CMYK. For CMYK plus color projects, spot colors must be defined correctly in the native file applications. If you need help defining spot colors, please contact Adair Client Relations.
- We can work with other PDF formats that are prepared for high resolution print reproduction, i.e. High Quality Print, PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, Press Quality. However, we do not recommend these formats.
- Packaged or collected native art files with linked graphics and fonts can be sent for backup purposes.
- Select File>Export
- Select Format: Adobe PDF (Print) from the dropdown
- Select Adobe PDF Preset: PDF/X-4:2008 from the dropdown
- Select Marks and Bleeds from the list of options on the left
- Set Top, Bottom, Left and Right bleed values to .25”
- Click Export and save the PDF file